Wednesday 18 December 2013

Experimental Persimmon cake

Dear all,

As part of a little experiment I chose to make a cake this week without adding sugar. I bought some persimmons at the market that turned out to be rather overripe when I got home. These were super sweet, so I figured I wouldn't need to add sugar if I added enough of the fruit.

I thought wrong. I puréed 2/3 of the fruit  and chopped up the rest to add to the cake. I also some freshly squeezed orange juice as the cake needed a little extra moisture.


Asides from the fruit(juice) I also added walnuts. And below you see the results.


Although the general texture of the cake was good it wasn't even remotely sweet! Even the chunks of persimmon seemed to have lost their sweetness. Also, while in my experimental phase I decided to use vegetable oil rather than butter - maybe next time I should check what a good ratio would be, as the cake also tasted rather of... vegetable oil!


All in all however not a total disaster. The cake was, let's say, different, but we didn't enjoy it any less. Served with my friend's sugar free hot chocolate (with real vanilla and a dash of cayenne pepper - fantastic!) it can still be called a success I think.

I want to try experimenting more, see what happens. So stay tuned!

xoxo Jennifer

0 comments: