Wednesday 9 October 2013

Gingerbread house

Dear all,

For my mum's birthday I made her a gingerbread house! I've never made one before, it was so much fun! And tasty too (says my mum, I didn't get a chance to have any). It was something I wanted to do because she was the one that gave me the mould but also, my parents are moving, so a gingerbread house seemed especially appropriate!

Here it is.

The basics of house-building: the pieces! Including a mummy, a daddy and... a tree. And then gluing time. I made my own royal icing for this, easier than expected and perfect for gluing the house together.

The first bit was a bit tricky, but the icing dried quick enough and really there was no danger of 'collapsing', so I went ahead and put the whole thing together in one go. Walls first, let that dry, then I put the roof on. Which I let dry before moving on to candy decorations.

I used a combination of the left over royal icing (of which I had tons!), cake decorations and candy I got in town to make the decorations.


My dad bought a boat because the new house is on the water - so I made a little fondant boat to go with the house. How cute is that!?







All done, I built a house! I wonder what next week will bring...

xoxo Jennifer

0 comments: