Wednesday 2 October 2013

Zebra birthday

Dear all,

Sometimes I bake cakes with a certain person in mind, like last week, and other times I bake cakes because I want to try out new techniques (and I think the recipient will appreciate it!). This week I thought I'd take a 'walk on the wild side' and bake a zebra cake for a friend's birthday. It worked a treat!

So what is a zebra cake? It must surely involve stripes, and it wouldn't be a cake of mine if that didn't apply to both the inside and outside. So start with 3 colours (because a 2 coloured zebra would just be boring, no? hehe).

I went for a 'punk' zebra because I figured that would suit my friend: so black, white and pink! The black mix has cocoa in it, the pink mix simply vanilla batter with pink colouring. And then off you go, scooping the mixes into the middle one at a time.

This results in lots of rings of colour which eventually form the stripes. What this looks like you will see below, and above is also my black and white fondant zebra pattern.

So black white and pink stripes it is, punk zebra! With a big bow on top!


I love making these fondant bows, such a show stopper (and not that difficult to make, but shhh). The finished product didn't only look fantastic, it was extremely tasty. Very good cake mix that I will surely come back to. And I've already had a request for another zebra cake, so definitely a success!

Next week I'm building a house. Stay tuned!

xoxo Jennifer

0 comments: