Friday 3 September 2010

Tarte Tatin Failures

Dear all,

Yes, sometimes I too fail (more often than I let on on this blog anyway XD). Either way, the other day a friend asked me to bake cupcakes for him to take to a pot luck. I was foolish enough to think I could try out a new recipe for that, because it failed, miserably! But so that you can all share in my misery (or have a good laugh at my expense), here is what happened:

I saw a recipe for Tarte Tatin cupcakes, which involved caramelised apples and making caramel. Making the cupcakes themselves was easy, a nice falvoursome vanilla-y cupcakes. Then the drama started. The apples burned, turned soggy, were too big/too small to go on the cupcakes, and did not caramelise.



In the end however I got a nice set of apple slices that at least looked decent enough to go on the cupcakes. Then disaster part two: the caramel. Judging from the pictures in the book I thought I would get a nice clear caramel-like substance, maybe a little treacle like. I was wrong. It was semi-solid light brown opaque muck (which tasted quite nice actually!).



Anyway, so I thought the idea was to dribble some on, but that looked terrible.



After some deliberation I decided the caramel was to be used as icing with the non-caramelised apples on top. I'm so sorry for ruining the cupcakes friend, you know who you are. I hope I didn't kill anyone with them or put them off my baking forever :(

My result:



And on the right, what is was
supposed to look like XD




I'm not giving up however, I will try this recipe again someday and make it work for me, muahaha.

Until next time!

xoxo Jennifer

3 comments:

Unknown said...

May be they didn't turn up as in the recipe book, but I'm sure they tasted good. You are a very talented shef and you managed to save those cupcakes. Can I share your blog with Katica to give her some inspiration?

Maria

Jennemeiske said...

Hi Maria,

Yes of course you can share this blog with Katica! If she ever wants a recipe I'd be happy to send it as well :)

And thank you for the vote of confidence :D

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

They still look pretty darn good to me :D

though I wonder what happened to the caramel.