Wednesday 29 September 2010

Chocolate Orange pt 3 (final)

Dear all,

So here's part three of the Chocolate Orange adventure! Today I present: "Marquise with chocolate and orange" or what I call the Jasper cake. Jasper made me this cake two years ago for my birthday and I finally felt up to making it as the recipient was apparently very fond of the chocolate orange combination. So, I set to work, first melting a massive amount of chocolate.

What was special, or difficult? about this cake is that when baking it in the oven the tin has to be place in water, to keep the temperature constant. First off I hadn't really thought about this enough so when the cake was ready to go in the oven I was short an oven dish large enough to put the cake tin in! I improvised well, I thought, until after well past the alotted time the cake still wasn't done... And this included several attempts at taking the cake out of the tin because a skewer came out clean and finding out just in time that well.. it really wasn't done! No one wants a runny cake. So after 2 (!!) hours of changing the temperature, taking the cake out of the water etc etc the cake was finally done. Thank goodness!!!



By this time my kitchen was an absolute disaster site. Making three desserts in 1 day is not ideal - as I found out that day. Anyway, the next step for the cake was making candied orange peel, another technique I had never tried before - but succeeded at!!



With a lot of help and tips from Jasper I cut the orange peel, and boiled the strips in water and sugar until it looked like syrup. I then let it cool, which actually turned the whole into one massive block of orange and sugar. Heating it up again a bit allowed me to take out the orange peel, which was now beautifully candied!!



Here is a picture of the end result: a beautifully moist and rich orange chocolate cake with candied orange peel as decoration on top!




And here's a detail picture of the candied orange, because it's so pretty, and the seriously happy recipient. Boy that was good cake. Marquise. YUM!



Absolutely definitely for sure a cake I want to make again. It's THAT good.

xoxo Jennifer

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. this blog makes for good reading first thing in the morning. I think you may have just made my day! ;]
xxx Renske

Anonymous said...

wow.. it looks so delicious..
though that water thing sounds like a serious challenge. how did you improvise?

hurrah for candied orange, it looks SO good <3

Jennemeiske said...

@ Renske: thanks hehe, nice to know I can contribute to a good start of the day ^^

@ Roxy: in the end I put the cake tin in my quiche dish, which technically isn't deep enough, but it's all I had... so I refilled it with water half way because it had evaporated and just kept hoping it would be good enough!