Wednesday 6 July 2011

80th Birthday Cake pt. 2

Dear all,

Last week I promised to show you the four-layer chocolate cake, so here it is! Putting this cake together is quite a trick, so I'll try to show you how I did it:

First up of course: getting things ready! I got a greaty recipe stand a while ago which is extremely handy. Now this cake requires baking 4 different cakes, in 2 batches.





Next is putting the lot together. The cake goes from vanilla to chocolate, so to get the right effect I needed to stick them togehter (with chocolate spread) in the right order.





Last, but certainly not least, covering the whole thing in chocolate! I made a kind of chocolate ganache with milk and dark chocolate (which to start off with was a little runny - the day I made the cake for Steve the ganache worked out better; the pictures above are from my test run at home ;) )



Although this towering chocolate cake is already pretty impressive in itself, I added some decorations (chocolate mocca beans and tiny gold balls) to finish it off for the day itself. Here is the result (With Steve cutting the cake after his speech)



Now, you are of course all wondering what this four layer business is. Feast your chocolate-loving eyes on this:



Pretty impressive I think! This cake looks great and isn't hard to make. It's all a bit time consuming, but SO worthwhile. Loved it (and so did everyone else. I even converted a couple non-chocolate-cake-believers!).

See you again next week for Coconut-Lemon cake, yum!

xoxo Jennifer

0 comments: