Sunday 21 April 2013

Anniversary Cake

Dear all,

My parents recently celebrated their 30-year wedding anniversary. Wowie! Definitely the right occasion to make a cake. With a little inspiration from my brother this was the result:


Check out how I stumbled into this design (because yes, that's what happened!)


It, of course, always starts with a cake. A red velvet to be exact in this case. Nice bit of cream cheese icing in the middle and butter cream all round to make the fondant stick. That was the easy part.


As this is a wedding anniversary cake I thought it only fitting to make roses. So I just made a whole bunch of roses from fondant in different shades of red/pink. I had a wedding picture of my parents printed on edible paper to personalise the cake. Then I started the creative process of figuring out how to place the roses on the cake...


The base of the decoration was a pristine white fondant covering (wedding cake!). I then added the picture. I tried all sorts to get it to stick to the fondant (butter cream, piping gel... nothing worked!) and ended up pinning it down with the roses actually.


Bit by bit the cake is coming together. I'm just making it up as I go along, and am quite happy with the result. The finishing touch was the number '30', in heart shapes!!


So here it is, the 30 year wedding anniversary cake. An overview from different angles, including the detailing along the side (using a new mold, yay!). And below, a peek into the inside of the cake.



That sure was tasty. My cake baking is starting to go global - a piece of this cake will have by now travelled to Brazil to a fan who insisted on having some of it. Amazing! Haha. (read: my brother went to visit his girlfriend there and she wanted cake).

This was really a fantastic cake to make and I'm so pleased with it! Now I need a bit of a baking break, 3 of these cakes in 1 week (because that is the actual time span of these last three cakes) took quite a bit out of me. By the time you guys get to see this post though (hehe) I'm sure I'll be back at it so you won't have to miss much!

xoxo Jennifer

0 comments: