Wednesday 10 November 2010

Angel Cake

Dear all,

A cake that has been on my wish list for a while is the British version of an Angel cake (not to be confused with angel food cake which is the American version and quite different). When my mum gave me an angel-shaped cake tin I just couldn't resist, so here it goes!

Angel cake uses lots of egg whites and no flour, so it's quite an interesting cake to try out (and perfect to make along side the key lime pie that only uses egg yolks ;) ). So first up was whipping the egg whites into shape:


The egg whites need whipping until they almost have a whipped cream texture then you add the rest of the ingredients. I used 2 cake tins to make this cake, one the angel shaped one and a simple round one to form the base of the cake.



I decorated the round cake with white chocolate, eadable glitter and some shiny sugar decorations.



As for the cake colour, as you only use egg whites the cake turns out very white. Angel cake, however, is usually a mix of white, yellow and pink cake, so that's what I did!! I left the angel white, and added food colouring to the cake mix for the round cake, yes, yellow and pink. So the angel on top was white, then a layer of pink, and yellow at the bottom. Which is exactly right according to Wikipedia:

"Angel cake is called angel cake because it has three layers and is pink in the middle. All angels look like this when cooked correctly."


Unfortunately this part was removed shortly after I discovered it, so you'll just have to take my word for it. And you know I'm not witty enough to come up with that myself!





And so here it is, a before and after picture, of my angel cake, Rafaƫl.



And with this post I complete my back log of cake posts - I better get baking for next week!!

xoxo Jennifer

0 comments: