Wednesday 17 November 2010

Castle Cake

Dear all,

Since it has become well known that I like to bake, people have started showering me in baking-related presents, for which I am eternally grateful. Some of these presents come in the form of fancy baking tins, such as the angel shaped tin last week. This week, however, I would like to present to you: CASTLE CAKE!! This awesome baking tin was a present as well, and I in fact made it in honour of the birthday of one of the people who gave it to me.

For the cake itself I decided to follow the recipe that came with the tin, just to see how it would turn out. This recipe was for coconut pound cake, quite delicious!




As for the decoration, I was a little Halloween inspired, as my friend's birthday was actually the 30th of October, right before Halloween. With sugar paste I made a couple of decorations myself: 2 tomb stones, an axe, a cross, a ghost and 2 skulls. The rest of the decoration I actually bought in Scotland, including chocolate rocks, gold and black decorations and coconut mushrooms.





As the cake shape hadn't come out as clearly as I wanted, I had to find a way to accentuate the finer details of the castle cake. I had made a cocoa paste (water + unsweetened cococa powder) which I covered the edge of the plate with to stick all the rocks etc. on. With the same paste and a toothpick I started filling in the grooves on the cake to accentuate the stone pattern etc. And this is what the cake ended up looking like:





And here's a quick look at what the cake looks like cut in half - with my friend's rather large portion!! (Always a good sign I guess?!)



This was another one of those cakes I had an absolute blast making and was the perfectly delicious ending to a wonderful evening.

Until next week! (for which I still have to come up with something, hehe)

xoxo Jennifer

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMPRESSIVE!!
XXX - Renske -