Wednesday 3 November 2010

Pear and Chocolate Pie

Dear all,

Today I have a post with plenty of pictures for you! For a 'girls' night' recently hosted at my friend Roxy's, I made a pear and chocolate pie (to continue the autumn theme I started last week). BIG success!!

The pie has a simple shortbread pie crust. The next step was to grate a whole bar of chocolate (I was absolutely covered in chocolate I can tell you! Lots of finger-licking going on when I was done ;) ) which then goes into the pie first. See for yourself!



Next I halved and peeled 3 pears and removed the core (not an easy task when you can only halve the pears, not quarter them!). I then sliced them quite thinly, making sure to keep the shape of the half-pear. This was for the next step, placing the sliced pear halves on top of the chocolate to form something that resembles spokes of a wheel (as described in the recipe).



As it turned out I apparently had big fat pears, so instead of 6 spokes I only had five (leaving me with half a pear to munch on while the pie was in the oven, yum!). I then ladled some custard (mix of egg yolk, egg and cream) over the pears and then sprinkled the whole lot with caster sugar.



Tadaa, chocolate and pear pie! With a nice golden brown custard and slightly caramelised pears, it sure looked good! One of the girls brought some autumn decorations, looked amazing with the pie! And our host sure was happy!



Finally, here are some pictures of the yummy slices of pie we munched on. Now tell me that doesn't look good!!!



The recipe actually recommended serving the pie warm, which I would definitely like to try next time. I can imagine that the goo-yness of the warm chocolate mixed with the custard can be absolutely heavenly. Definitely worth trying again!

xoxo

Jennifer

0 comments: