Wednesday 19 October 2011

Battenburg engineering

Dear all,

Another dinner party, another cake! This time I opted for a Battenburg cake:

This is a chocolate and orange version of the Battenburg cake (rather than the more common pink and yellow version). Getting started requires a little engineering: I had to set up an aluminium foil divider in a square tin. Then make sure it stays in place when scooping in the cake batter...



My bit of engineering was successful! I then cut the two rectangles in half, and cut them to the same length. I had to shave off a little extra of the chocolate part as I hadn't dividded the mixture evenly enough, but there was plenty left! Then more engineering: sticking them together with hazelnut spread.



Finally the whole thing is covered in white marzipan. For a little extra fun I added some quick decorations (I was in a hurry - not bad though ey?)


xoxo Jennifer

ps. sorry for the crappy pictures, most were taken with my phone (all except the one where I had just finished decoration).

0 comments: