Wednesday 5 October 2011

It's a... baby!

Dear all,

Another week, another baby shower! This time for a colleague going on maternity leave. She has not disclosed the gender of her baby yet, so it's a unisex cake (in as far as that goes).

For the cake I used a recipe I had been dying to try: a ginger cake! The recipe was given to me by a very special someone (hello Grandma!) who insisted I give it a try, and boy do I know why now! It was scrumptious. And it looked good too! So here it goes:

Because it's a nice easy cake to decorate and cut into even pieces, I went for the square cake again. Single layer this time - less time to bake this week you see (making 2 cakes for the same day with late night working days is not a good combination I discovered). Either way, it was the perfect size anyway! Dab a bit of buttercream icing on to make the fondant icing stick, and it looks a little like the cake on the left. Smooth the (green = unisex!) fondant icing out and you got the beginning of a baby cake.



Using different pastel coloured icings I decided to spell out what this cake was all about: a baby! Stick it on the cake and it looks a little like this:



As for the finishing touches: she is one lucky lady to be having this, what I'm sure will be, lovely baby, so congrats!



And congrats to me on the final product. I'm pretttty please with myself on this one! (notice the little pink foot I made from scratch! ow yeah!!)



Until next week everyone!

xoxo Jennifer

0 comments: